r
d
l
a
Evolver Evolver
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
I have always been interested in Evolutionary Biology as a child, desiring to become a researcher and, eventually, a professor at uni. after my first hand experiences of research and how the academic world really works though, I am not really sure about that at all anymore.

Now I got an MSc in Molecular biology. I was going to try and find an interesting PhD to test and prove myself if research is really not suitable for me as I thought, but I'm aware that's an attempt that requires a hell of a commitment.

Furthermore, in the last years I have devolped a growing interest for personal development, coaching and job orienteering... In a period of confusion about what to do with my life and my career, I got in touch with this world and asked for advice to a coach... and it turned out, I really saw myself fit for the role.

The problem is, I am aware that probably I have to study coaching and psychology courses and get certifications, but my finances are quite reduced at the moment. I was wondering, how could I switch from the previous path to the other? or even better, if there's a career path that allows me to mix the two in some way...
Read 5811 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, bio_man
Now I got an MSc in Molecular biology. I was going to try and find an interesting PhD to test and prove myself if research is really not suitable for me as I thought, but I'm aware that's an attempt that requires a hell of a commitment.

Definitely.

Furthermore, in the last years I have devolped a growing interest for personal development, coaching and job orienteering... In a period of confusion about what to do with my life and my career, I got in touch with this world and asked for advice to a coach... and it turned out, I really saw myself fit for the role.

Follow what you're passionate about, but make sure it pays the bills!

The problem is, I am aware that probably I have to study coaching and psychology courses and get certifications, but my finances are quite reduced at the moment. I was wondering, how could I switch from the previous path to the other? or even better, if there's a career path that allows me to mix the two in some way...

You could take a couple of years off working in what you went to school for, and follow your passion as a hobby on the side. If you find that you're really good at your hobby and have developed the skills to make a living off of it, maybe then you can switch careers, or do both jobs part-time. I know a friend of mine with a similar story. He graduated with a degree in biology, but ended up becoming an entrepreneur online in his field of work - science. He used what he was good at - science - to pursue a career related to it in business. He always had a hobby involving computers, so over the years he learned how to program websites while at the same time working as a biologist for a local company. Now he works on his business full-time, and has left his old life behind.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1125 People Browsing
 142 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79