× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
bio_man bio_man
wrote...
Administrator
Educator
13 years ago
J. Craig Venter is a biologist most known for his contributions, in 2001, of sequencing the first draft human genome and in 2007 for the first complete diploid human genome. In 2010 he and his team announced success in constructing the first synthetic bacterial cell. His present work focuses on creating synthetic biological organisms and applications of this work, and discovering genetic diversity in the world's oceans.

Read 714 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
Joy
wrote...
13 years ago
Thank you for posting this. I found it stimulating of the fact that they are trying to create a cell that might one day change problems of the human system. Problems such as HIV, Cancer, Leukemia. I do hope that is the path that they're try...ing to go on by creating these cells/organisms. Our future is in their hands, the scientists that are working so hard to create a matter that will simply cure and not kill the host after injection. But my worry and question is, how much change does the host go through after their initial DNA is changed? To change the makeup of the hosts internal numbers, what else is affected by this cell/organism? Again thank you for this, I've always wondered what they were doing after they've discovered what humanity is really made up of. Codes and numbers. How simple can you get?
Joy
wrote...
13 years ago
I don't think they're looking at creating a synthetic life, but what makes up a life and how to make changes, if changes are needed, example: birth defects, blood disorders, cancer, etc.
bio_man Author
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I don't think they're looking at creating a synthetic life, but what makes up a life and how to make changes, if changes are needed, example: birth defects, blood disorders, cancer, etc.

Joy, they are doing both, researching what is the minimal amount of genes necessary to create a living cell -and- how to create new organisms using synthetic DNA designed in a computer. What makes the characteristics of an organism are the genes that control it and the internal and external environment embedded or surrounding it.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1308 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?