r
d
l
a
emilyliv emilyliv
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
3 years ago
Hi, my name is Emily and I'm going into Gr. 12 and I'm planning to take all 3 maths which are adv functions, data management, and calculus. The problem is I struggle with math, but I need it to go to University, and I'm very worried. Any advice or suggestions?
Read 411 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
You don't need math to get into university, it depends on the program. What do you plan on studying?
emilyliv Author
wrote...
3 years ago
I do, many of the programs I'm interested require 3 or 2 the math courses especially the universities such as McMaster, Waterloo, western, etc.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
The reason why I'm curious is because I thought universities required 6 U-level courses, and it didn't matter which one's you took. If your program is requesting math, then it's likely a math-related program? If you struggle with math now, you'll struggle even more in university; in fact, math gets a lot harder in grade 12

Sounds to me like you live in Ontario, Canada (or somewhere in Michigan), given the names of the school you're interested in being part of. If it's not a math-related program, but they require math credits in high school, you'll do relatively well with data management; it's a mix of data-analysis, probability, and statistics. If you're relatively good at algebra, you'll easily get an A here. Advanced functions is hard, maybe harder than calculus in some chapters. If you can avoid both of them, that'd be my recommendation.

Are you certain all three maths are required based on the program you're interested in? What's the program?
emilyliv Author
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, emilyliv
I want to get into Business/Accounting, at first I was considering Science but I decided that it would be way to difficult for me later on. Many of the programs all wanted mainly adv functions and calculus, and I'm basically stuck right now because I want to do really well,  but in this case I don't think it's possible. You can tell based on the questions I ask you as well.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I took several business courses in university; the math they do doesn't even compare to what you do in a science program. Math is not a focal point for accountants, but don't get me wrong, they do work with numbers all day, but it's not the theoretical math you're doing now. It's a lot easier, and very doable. I don't want to give you the wrong information, but I'm quite certain that for a business program, they don't require all three maths. It's not even part of your studies, so why would they need it? Like I said, you can probably get away with just doing data management, and you'll do great with it with minimal math knowledge.

My cousin is a chartered accountant; ask any chartered accountant, and they'll tell you the last time they did calculus was in high school or a watered down version in first year university.

What are your grades like in math right now? You do realize that math is a hard topic regardless of your comfort zone. Let's assume you do need all three maths, what's the worse that can happen? If you go for tutoring, do your homework, and keep up with the lessons, you'll pass. Just role with the punches until it's over - you have great work ethics given that you've come here and ask our tutors whenever you need help. Most of your peers wouldn't even do that, you're already ahead 👍
emilyliv Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Yes, but unfortunately it is still a requirement to do all 3 maths in University, especially the ones that I want to get into. And honestly, my grades right now are questionable at the moment, school is online right now and we are tested through assignments and projects which is easy to improve your mark. Not gonna lie, before this whole pandemic thing happened, I didn't do so well with the tests because I didn't have a better understanding, I would always ask my teachers for help, pay attention in class and still not pass. I even paid a tutor to help me and still failed the test. But then I found your website and it helped me a lot which I appreciate so much, wish I found out about it before I even started the course. Overall, I would say I'm doing okay. Can you also tell me more information about the courses, adv functions and cal? How hard is it and what I should expect when I take the course. I'm really stressed about it, and I want to improve, my goal is to aim 85% and above. Any suggestions?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Can you also tell me more information about the courses, adv functions and cal? How hard is it and what I should expect when I take the course. I'm really stressed about it, and I want to improve, my goal is to aim 85% and above. Any suggestions?

Advanced functions is like university level grade 11 math, but on steroids - hence the "advanced" descriptor. You learn about quadratic and cubic functions, graphing and solving inequalities, transformations, real-life trigonometry problems and proofs (hard as hell for some people), the unit circle and special triangles, laws of exponents and logarithms, and a few other things. As you can see, most of this stuff you already have experience with, it's just more advanced.

I think Calculus is easier to do than advanced functions; the first few chapters minus the first (which is about the calculus theory - it's annoying) are all about applying rules, and this consists plenty of algebraic manipulation. The techniques you acquire now, and in advanced functions, in theory, should make the manipulations and simplification steps easier to do. The hardest chapter in Calculus is optimization, but the good news is that on our channel, we have over 15 optimization examples, and they cover the most popular ones taught in high school. Here's an example of that:

Calculus is coupled with vectors, and if you've ever taken physics, there's a lot of overlap there. Vectors prepares you for linear algebra in university - if you were to ever take that course later on in your life. Vectors I'd say is on par with the difficulty level experienced in advanced functions. Luckily, we have videos mades for EVERY topic under the sun pertaining to both courses.

But then I found your website and it helped me a lot which I appreciate so much, wish I found out about it before I even started the course.

Glad it did what it was intended for! Normally we attract college/university students, so having high schools is a plus. I didn't realize you were in high school until you posted this, comes to show how much overlap in study material exists between college and high school.

Perhaps you could continue to study over the summer, borrow a textbook from the library or from your school, and practice each chapter. You can even us Biology Forums to ask questions along the way - we're open every day of the year Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes If you need one-on-one real-life tutoring, our company offers that as well.
emilyliv Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Thank you so much, really appreciate the advice!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1116 People Browsing
 137 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370