i
r
r
morla morla
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
2 years ago Edited: 2 years ago, morla
Hello there,

I am Mike, currently a programmer and really interested in becoming a Nutritionist and do a career change.

I need some guidance to understand better the more useful path to take.

ATM I am starting to study biology on Openstax and Lumenlearning. They offer free and really well-written Biology books from the basic to the most advanced topics.

Once finished with the basics I would like to enrol on a BSc.

I found out a BSc in Biology which is held by the Open University, so it's online 100% and can be done in 3/5yrs.

I also found some masters which can be done online in Animal and Human nutrition.

I would like to do both Animal and Human nutrition, since my wife is studying to become a Veterinary surgeon, and I want to be able to help her in her job.

I do know that there are BSc in nutrition, but I was thinking that studying Biology, which is the basis of Nutrition and a lot of other sciences, could give me more preparation.

So to be short I would like to know if it's a good idea to start with a BSc in Biology and then do 2 separate masters in Human and Animal nutrition.

Thanks in advance.
Read 750 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago Edited: 2 years ago, bio_man
I do know that there are BSc in nutrition, but I was thinking that studying Biology, which is the basis of Nutrition and a lot of other sciences, could give me more preparation.

Certainly, when I studied biology, it was mandatory to take a few courses in nutrition along the way. Those courses were great, very informative, but I felt they didn't provide me with enough value. Prior to taking those courses, I was already well-versed and interested in nutrition. I knew what was considered healthy and nutritious, and kept up to date with the trends. Because of this, the courses I took only reinforced what I already knew personally, and from what had already been taught in other courses.

I can't imagine what four full years of nutrition would be like. I'd assume it'd get boring real fast. At least with biology, you get to take chemistry, physics, and math courses along the way, and in the process get to see how all those fields all relate to one another. I took over ten math courses during my undergrad as a bio major. Today, I love mathematics even more than I do biology, so much so that I have a masters degree in mathematics! If it weren't for those math courses I took, I probably wouldn't have discovered this hidden passion of mine.

So to be short I would like to know if it's a good idea to start with a BSc in Biology and then do 2 separate masters in Human and Animal nutrition.

I'd start with a bachelors in biology, then enroll in a postgraduate masters program in nutrition.
morla Author
wrote...
2 years ago
@bio_man

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Yes I agree with you, Biology is a swiss knife in terms of science and it gives you tons of things to study,

So I will follow what I initially planned. BSc in Biology and then I will do some master degree.

I am also starting to have an interest in mycology since I found out that fungi have so many benefits in terms of health and can be applied even in medicine.

I will see during the next years which path I will like the most.

Thanks again  Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1224 People Browsing
 127 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741