M
M
p
R
fwefwe fwefwe
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
A month ago
Explain why placebo effects and spontaneous remission need to be controlled when examining the effectiveness of therapy outcomes.
Textbook 

Psychology

Edition: 1st
Authors:
Read 3 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
DCRavenDCRaven
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
A month ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
More questions for this book are available here
Answers may vary, but should contain the following for full credit:
Placebo effects occur when taking an inert substance (a "sugar pill" or placebo) produces the same rate of improvement as taking a presumed causally effective medication. For example, if 60 percent of people taking an antidepressant medication show improvement, but 60 percent of people taking a placebo couched as an antidepressant medication show the same improvement, it is difficult to argue that the medication produces substantially better results than the placebo (i.e., taking nothing at all). Spontaneous remission occurs when people recover without any treatment. For example,100 people might enter humanistic therapy for six months to address feeling of depression; at the end of six months perhaps 40 of them report improvement. If a group of 100 comparably depressed people did nothing for that same six-month period, and 40 of them also reported the same rate of improvement, there would be little evidence that the therapeutic approach produced benefits beyond that of the simple passage of time (i.e., spontaneous remission). Evaluations of the effectiveness of therapy therefore need to control for both placebo effects and spontaneous remission as potential explanations for improvements in functioning.

This verified answer contains over 190 words.