r
d
l
a
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
Are there any studies about promotion of vitreous gel regeneration? My understanding is surgical replacement of it with artificial substance increases risk of retinal detachment and other eye disease and in general they like to avoid removal of it when it becomes impossible to see through it. Any biohacks in the current research,
Read 231 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Hi CarbonRobot

Vitreous gel degrades with age naturally. I can't think of an application where this would be necessary if its degradation doesn't necessarily cause a major problem.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Well floaters occur and its physical characteristics change causing the vitreous gel to pull on the retina causing tears or detachments. If a new one can replace it I think that would be best.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
You're right about floaters Neutral Dummy That is a major reason for retina detachment for sure. Vitreous syneresis is the official word for shrinking virtuous gel, and from what I've read, there's really no way of reversing it. To eliminate floaters, they've developed laser techniques that can obliterate them, but that ultimately depends on their location within the eye (i.e. if they're accessible).

According to the article found here, "the vitreous body cannot regenerate, so the vitreous cavity must be filled with suitable vitreous substitutes that keep the retina in place".

The vitreous body cannot regenerate, so the vitreous cavity must be filled with suitable vitreous substitutes that keep the retina in place and prevent insertion of prosthesis after enucleation of the eye. Vitreous substitutes are one of the most interesting and challenging topics of research in ophthalmology[2]. Although the several vitreous substitutes available include inert gas, silicone oil, heavy silicone oil, and hydrogels, to date, octafluoropropane (C3F8) and sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) are the most commonly used in clinics[2]. These gases are spontaneously absorbed in 6 to 80d and then are replaced by aqueous humor most possibly complicated with lens opacification and high intraocular pressure (IOP)[5].
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
No proof of concept studies? I think in young humans lenses can regenerate if removed which is no longer true in adults.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Are you referring to octafluoropropane and sulfur hexafluoride? These compounds are most commonly used to replaced degraded virtuous humor gel, according to the excerpt provided above, so there is clinical proof that it works.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
No, not artificial replacement. Real regrowth is what I'm interested in.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
The vitreous gel cannot regenerate, and there is no literature that I found which points in that direction, unfortunately.

Off-topic, Yoga can be dangerous for one's eye health Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes Who knew?!

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5866116/
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
I will read that. Thanks.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1100 People Browsing
 119 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249