t
i
r
r
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
I know facial symmetry might not indicate anything about intelligence in general, but does it say anything about type of intelligence or creative/logical balance? Say left side is larger than right versus opposite?
Read 465 times
12 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
A year ago
This is bit of a stretch, but a lack of facial symmetry is correlated with being ugly, and the uglier you are, the dumber you are. I read something like that years ago! Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
I don't know that Steven Hawking was that pretty, or Einstein, or any most Nobel prize winners.
wrote...
Staff Member
A year ago
This is bit of a stretch, but a lack of facial symmetry is correlated with being ugly, and the uglier you are, the dumber you are. I read something like that years ago! Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes

Perhaps better looking people are more successful?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
A year ago
https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/attractive-people-are-smarter-science-says-but-maybe-thats-due-to-how-we-treat-them.html
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Yeah, I don't know enough about Inc magazine to know if that's a good source. In any event I am more interested in specific cognitive abilities and the dominant side of their face.
wrote...
Staff Member
A year ago
I downloaded the PDF of the article being referenced on that website using my institution account.

Authors thoughts:

Both in the British and American samples, physical attractiveness is significantly positively associated with general intelligence, both with and without controls for social class, body size, and health. Both in the UK and in the US, the association between physical attractiveness and general intelligence is stronger among men than among women. In the UK, physically attractive men have higher IQ by 13.6 points, whereas physically attractive women have higher IQ by 11.4 IQ points. These mean differences imply bivariate correlation coefficients of r= .351 among women and r= .414 among men. Physical attractiveness is more strongly associated with general intelligence than any other variable included in the equations. However, the relatively weak
measure of physical attractiveness in the NCDS data is likely to attenuate the true association between general intelligence and physical attractiveness.

At the same time, given that the attractiveness ratings of the NCDS respondents were given by their two elementary school teachers, who were largely aware of the students' cognitive ability from their academic work, it is also possible that there may be some halo effect, where more intelligent, better students are considered by their teachers to be physically more attractive. However, such a halo effect, if it exists, does not explain where the perception that more intelligent individuals are physically more attractive comes from. The results presented in this paper suggest that the perception is based on empirical reality (Kanazawa & Kovar, 2004).

The association between intelligence and physical attractiveness is much weaker in the US. The bivariate correlations are r= .134 among women and r= .144 among men. The associations remain significant even controlling for sex, race, social class, body size, and health. The stronger association between general intelligence and physical attractiveness may possibly be due to the fact that the NCDS data have a much stronger measure of general intelligence than the Add Health data, although the latter has a stronger measure of physical attractiveness than the former. It is not clear why the association is stronger among men than among women
both in the UK and in the US, but Miller's (2000a, 2000b, Prokosch, Yeo, & Miller, 2005) general fitness factor (f-factor) model can account for the sex difference.
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Again. Not interested in attractiveness. Interested in sidedness of blood flow if anything and which side of face seems more developed.
wrote...
A year ago
What if a connection was made between symmetry and beauty? That is, the more symmetrical a person's face is, the more he/she is perceived as beautiful. Could this then assume intelligence?
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
I know facial symmetry might not indicate anything about intelligence in general, but does it say anything about type of intelligence or creative/logical balance? Say left side is larger than right versus opposite?

Hi CarbonRobot ,

What observations have you made that prompted this question in the first place?
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Hi CarbonRobot , What observations have you made that prompted this question in the first place?

I have noticed some people that seemed intelligent to me that appeared to have a larger right side to their face. Wasn't sure if there was a connection.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Interesting...

@Duddy, while good looking people are celebrated by society more than unattractive people, you mustn't forget all the brilliant engineers, designers and programmers (i.e. higher IQ folk) that society doesn't celebrate. Hence, I may not completely agree with @kinpin555's hypothesis.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Interesting...

@Duddy, while good looking people are celebrated by society more than unattractive people, you mustn't forget all the brilliant engineers, designers and programmers (i.e. higher IQ folk) that society doesn't celebrate. Hence, I may not completely agree with @kinpin555's hypothesis.

Yeah, rarely have I seen geniuses measured facially with calipers versus just their accomplishments.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1194 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images