× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
kaylarenee56 kaylarenee56
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
How would a spirometer tracing be different in a person with a collapsed lung? Why? What must occur to restore     
the respiratory function to normal?
Read 2185 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
11 years ago
PhysioEx 9, correct?

What activity, exercise?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
kaylarenee56 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
No. It's a set of essay questions she gave us and I have been trying to find the answer forever and can't seem to locate anything that relates to the question.
wrote...
Staff Member
11 years ago
I wouldn't know either. I did find this one question that may help you get started:

While having a physical examination, a young male informed his doctor that at age 8 he had lobar pneumonia and pleurisy in his left lung. The physician decided to measure his VC. Describe the apparatus and method used for taking this measurement. Define the following terms used in the description of lung volumes: TV, IRV, ERV, RV, and VC.

Answer:

His vital capacity (VC) was measured using a spirometer. As he breathed into a mouthpiece, a hollow bell, inverted over water, was displaced, giving a graphic recording on a rotating drum. Tidal volume (TV) is the amount of air that moves into and out of the lungs with normal breathing. Inspiratory reserve volume (IRV) is the amount of air that can be forcibly inhaled beyond the tidal volume. The expiratory reserve volume (ERV) is the amount of air that can be evacuated from the lungs over and above a tidal expiration. Residual volume (RV) is the amount of air that remains in the lungs even after the most strenuous expiration. Vital capacity (VC) is the total amount of exchangeable air.

Other than that, I wouldn't know what to tell you. Reply back if you come up with an answer. Undecided
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1265 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?