a
t
i
r
tlebron tlebron
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Describe the formation of a hydrogen bond and explain how it differs from a covalent or ionic bond?

thanks
Read 1394 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
eww
wrote...
11 years ago
Look it up using yahoo. I did it that way for my class and received the correct answer. It helps to do your own homework.
wrote...
11 years ago
A hydrogen bond is an *intermolecular* bond, one that exists between different molecules.  An ionic bond or a covalent bond is an *intramolecular" bond, one that exists with a specific molecule.

That being said, hydrogen bonds have a great deal of covalent character, which means that the hydrogen is actually bridging two molecules by being chemically bonded to both.  Formerly, it was assumed that hydrogen bonding was simply an electrostatic attraction.  Today we know that that isn't the case.

Hydrogen bonding occurs when H is internally bonded to N, O or F in one molecule and is weakly covalently bonded to a N, O or F atom in an adjacent molecule.  Water famously exhibits hydrogen bonding.  It accounts for most of the unusual properties of water.

Refer to the IUPAC's recent redefinition of the hydrogen bond.  http://blogs.nature.com/news/2010/11/chemists_redefine_hydrogen_bon.html

wrote...
11 years ago
you tell me
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1283 People Browsing
Related Images