11 years ago
Whats the difference between catabolism and anabolism? Please give example
Read 721 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Catabolism is the breakdown of a larger structure to smaller structures...
-->breakdown of disaccharides (lactose) to monosaccharides (glucose and galactose)

Anabolism is the opposite.  That is to say, reactions that build larger molecules or polymers.
wrote...
11 years ago
In catabolism you are "breaking down" lager molecules into smaller ones for energy. In anabolism you are "building up" smaller molecules into larger ones.

For anabolism, I always think of anabolic steroids and muscle growth.

For catabolism, I think of cellular respiration.
wrote...
11 years ago
Catabolism = breakdown/decomposition of substances

Anabolism = synthesis/bringing together of substances

(I have weird pneumonic/mental construct devices I use to remember these.  They may work for you or may not but here they are: When I think of catabolism, it reminds me of "cannibals" eating each other or "breaking down" parts.... ANAbolism: I focus on the ANA and when I look at it, it appears as if "the N is bringing together the two A's... these may seem dumb, but they help me remember!)
let
wrote...
11 years ago
Cannibalism
wrote...
11 years ago
Catabolism is the set of metabolic pathways which break down molecules into smaller units and release energy. In catabolism, large molecules such as polysaccharides, lipids, nucleic acids and proteins are broken down into smaller units such as monosaccharides, fatty acids, nucleotides and amino acids, respectively.
Anabolism is the set of metabolic pathways that construct molecules from smaller units. These reactions require energy.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1042 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion