d
a
g
j
arbuzas arbuzas
wrote...
13 years ago
Hey there,

Since old times it's known that white shirts, tainted by blue, will look brighter, thus whiter. I heard that it has to do with bipolar cells (Wh, Y B and R G) responses. If we put them in 3D plane, then vector's module is longer if both Wh and Y B cells react as opposed to reaction of only Wh cell (Pythagorean theorem). But why exactly we have to use blue to get brighter shirts? Red colour would also make vector's module longer.
Read 1088 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
ppk
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
13 years ago
The magnocellular path (M-path) originates in the parasol cells (M-cells) which in turn receive their input from diffuse bipolar cells. The diffuse bipolar cells obtain additive input from L- and M-coneThe receptive fields of the M cells have an antagonistic center-surround organization. These neurons project into the two magnocellular layers of the LGN. They exhibit a high sensitivity for luminance contrast (L+M). The magnocellular layers of LGN project mainly to layer 4C\({\alpha}\) but also to layers 4B and 6 in primary visual cortex.
arbuzas Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Actually I think you didn't understand my question.
There's a phenomenon called bluing. Decades ago it was popular to use blue liquid to make the laundry seem more bright. I am interested in mechanism. I heard that it had to do with chromaticity (Parvo-path) and luminosty (Magno-path) Bipolar cells. I have psychophisics textbook in which is written that there are three types of bipolar cells in our eye: luminosity (White-Black) and chromaticity (Yellow-Blue; Red-green). When eye receives information about color, these cells respond in varying proportions (depending on light's properties). So we could lay responses of these 3 cells in 3D plane. Perceived color is a vector, which is a result of summation of 3 vectors that indicate responses of 3 cells. It's written in this textbook, that perceived luminance depends on the length of this vector. And after this follows the question about this bluing thing (and unfortunately without answer). So I thought bluing had to do with responses of these cells. But I haven't found any source that would support this conjecture. the most prevalent explanation is that in subtractive color wheel yellow and blue are in opposite ends. That means that they are complementary which in turn should mean that mixing them results in white color. For what I know that would be true in additive color mixing (if we were mixing illuminants). Because in subtractive color mixing yellow + blue = green.
 So, the question for me still remains unanswered.
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
arbuzas, I have a file that could answer your question, PM your email address and I will send it you.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  2056 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 484