t
i
r
r
Moso13 Moso13
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
7 years ago
So we are conferring resistance between 2 unrelated species of bacteria by conjugation.  The donor bacteria is Pseudomonas strain(tet^R) and the recipient bacteria is E. Coli strain(tob^R).  So after conjugation we plated them on LB(rich plate media) and the other control plates LB+tetracycline, LB+tobramycine, and LB+tobramycine+tetracycline. My first question is on the EMB testing part, which is used to determine is colonies we chose are actually E. Coli.  So we used Eosin-Methyline Blue(EMB) to distinguish between Pseudomonas and E.Coli based on how they look.  In my notes it says that Psedomas are colored pink/purple and E. Coli are colored dark purple/ black.  And that green metallic sheen is lactose fermentation. In my plate they are were not colored differently than the plate, except one was colored the green metallic sheen so my professor told me that our mutants were pseudomonas.  But I thought if they were it would be purple/ black.   So I'm confused about that and I'm also confused about calculation conjugation frequency.  I have on my paper that I have 48 colonies and that its a 10^-4 plate.  And I understand the formula, but I don't understand how to determine the total E. Coli for the formula.  The formula is [transconjugates[/[total E. Coli] X 100= %.
Read 736 times
3 Replies