a
t
i
r
Ringer Ringer
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
10 years ago
I am a 14 year old and I am trying to understand mendel's law of independent assortment for my biology class and i just can't seem to get it can anyone explain it in kid words?
Read 447 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
its that genes are located on different chromasones (i cant spell but i kno what im talking about)

Mendel was lucky that when he studied plants, all the genes that he studied were on different chromasones, and thus having one gene did not affect having another gene
\
this law does not always apply because if you have 2 genes that are located on the same chromasone,

ex having E and R might be common so having E on one gene would make the likeleness of having R on the other one more
wrote...
10 years ago
ok, this is how i would put it in child terms...

Everything has a specific trait
So, if you find a pea pod(green of course) then that means it's color is a specific trait.
If you have a Yellow bean, then it's trait is yellow.
Thus, putting the bean in the pod means you will grow all yellow beans, and the pod will stay green.
The law basically states that everything that has a trait, will always have that independent trait(like colors)

But, there are many more independent traits other than colors.
For example, if your mom has short hair, and your dad has long, you could have inheirited either from them.
Or, if they both have short, then odds would be that you have short hair too.
And Vice-Versa
wrote...
10 years ago
No, what Mendel's Law of Independent Assortment states (in high school Biology terms) that each trait that you have, could have come from your mother or your father.  Just because you got one trait from your mother does not always mean you would get another trait from your mother.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1182 People Browsing
Related Images