s
r
d
l
a
bari21e bari21e
wrote...
13 years ago
My professor told my class that their are a few functions but I was not able to write them down. Can you please help me?
Read 2349 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Hey bari21e, thanks for joining Biology-forums.com!

The plasma membrane has several essential functions. These include transporting nutrients into and metabolic wastes out of the cell; preventing unwanted materials in the extracellular milieu from entering the cell; preventing loss of needed metabolites and maintaining the proper ionic composition, pH (?7.2), and osmotic pressure of the cytosol.

To carry out these functions, the plasma membrane contains specific transport proteins that permit the passage of certain small molecules but not others. Several of these proteins use the energy released by ATP hydrolysis to pump ions and other molecules into or out of the cell against their concentration gradients. Small charged molecules such as ATP and amino acids can diffuse freely within the cytosol but are restricted in their ability to leave or enter it across the plasma membrane.

Functions of Membrane Proteins can be summarized like this:

1. Anchors
2. Identifiers
3. Enzymes
4. Receptors
5. Carriers
6. Channels
   A. Leak Channels
   B. Gate Channels
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1159 People Browsing
 118 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?