t
S
m
s
omggimmetheansw omggimmetheansw
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
The nurse is teaching a family member about various types of complementary therapies that might be effective for relieving the dying client's anxiety and restlessness.

Which statement made by the family member indicates understanding of the nurse's teaching?

a.
  Maybe we should just hire an around-the-clock sitter to stay with Grandmother.
  b.
  I have some of her favorite hymns on a CD that I could bring for music therapy.
  c.
  I don't think that she'll need pain medication along with her herbal treatments.
  d.
  I will burn therapeutic incense in the room so we can stop the anxiety pills.

Question 2

A nurse is caring for a dying client. The client's spouse states, I think he is choking to death. How should the nurse respond?

a. Do not worry. The choking sound is normal during the dying process.
  b. I will administer more morphine to keep your husband comfortable.
  c. I can ask the respiratory therapist to suction secretions out through his nose.
  d. I will have another nurse assist me to turn your husband on his side.

Question 3

A nurse teaches a client who is considering being admitted to hospice. Which statement should the nurse include in this client's teaching?

a. Hospice admission has specific criteria. You may not be a viable candidate, so we will look at alternative plans for your discharge.
  b. Hospice care focuses on a holistic approach to health care. It is designed not to hasten death, but rather to relieve symptoms.
  c. Hospice care will not help with your symptoms of depression. I will refer you to the facility's counseling services instead.
  d. You seem to be experiencing some difficulty with this stage of the grieving process. Let's talk about your feelings.

Question 4

A client tells the nurse that, even though it has been 4 months since her sister's death, she frequently finds herself crying uncontrollably. How should the nurse respond?

a. Most people move on within a few months. You should see a grief counselor.
  b. Whenever you start to cry, distract yourself from thoughts of your sister.
  c. You should try not to cry. I'm sure your sister is in a better place now.
  d. Your feelings are completely normal and may continue for a long time.

Question 5

After teaching a client about advance directives, a nurse assesses the client's understanding. Which statement indicates the client correctly understands the teaching?

a. An advance directive will keep my children from selling my home when I'm old.
  b. An advance directive will be completed as soon as I'm incapacitated and can't think for myself.
  c. An advance directive will specify what I want done when I can no longer make decisions about health care.
  d. An advance directive will allow me to keep my money out of the reach of my family.

Question 6

A nurse plans care for a client who is nearing end of life. Which question should the nurse ask when developing this client's plan of care?

a. Is your advance directive up to date and notarized?
  b. Do you want to be at home at the end of your life?
  c. Would you like a physical therapist to assist you with range-of-motion activities?
  d. Have your children discussed resuscitation with your health care provider?
Read 187 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
msginmiamimsginmiami
wrote...
Rep: 4 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 520 words.