f
j
b
c
fairlykyle fairlykyle
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Which of the following are sources of information that are used in informal assessments?

1 . Walking among students as they work on a seat-work assignment
  2 . Hearing students' responses to questions
  3 . Observing student behavior on the playground
  4 . Hearing a teacher describe a student's achievement from the previous year

a. 1, 2, 3, 4 b. 1, 2, 3 c. 1, 2, 4 d. 1, 2

Ques. 2

Suppose a woman weighs 130 pounds as measured by an accurate scale in her physician's office. Also suppose that her scale at home gives the following readings over a 5-day period: 126, 134, 128, 132, 130, so the average is an accurate 130 . Assume that her actual weight has not varied during the five days. Does her scale give reliable measurements? Does her scale give valid measurements? Explain in both cases.

What will be an ideal response?

Ques. 3

Elesha Cox is very concerned about her students' self-esteem. To prevent her students from experiencing failure, she will sometimes accept low-quality work from her students. Sometimes they don't put in as much effort as I would like, she notes, but they'll get better. Of the following, which is the best assessment of Elesha's practice for increasing learner motivation?

a. It is effective, because experiencing success is important for motivation.
  b. It is ineffective, because accepting work that reflects lack of effort indicates lack of caring.
  c. It is effective, because students will eventually improve their learning strategies.
  d. It is ineffective, because student self-esteem isn't related to motivation.

Ques. 4

Mrs. Kryzewski spends a lot of time with her students both before and after school. The variable in the Model for Promoting Student Motivation that best relates to her tendency to spend extra time is:

a. enthusiasm.
  b. caring.
  c. involvement.
  d. personalization

Ques. 5

At Henderson Elementary School, grades are not assigned to kindergarten or first-grade students; instead, teachers check satisfactory or unsatisfactory. As a result, the teachers don't use formal assessments, instead relying on their informal observations of the students' behavior. Based on this information, which of the following is the most accurate statement?

a. Their assessments are likely to be valid but not reliable.
  b. Their assessments are likely to be reliable but not valid.
  c. Their assessments are likely to be both valid and reliable.
  d. Their assessments are likely to be both invalid and unreliable.

Ques. 6

Kathee Proctor doesn't give language arts or math tests to her second graders. I don't see the need for them, she argues. I have particular things I want to see in their work, and I collect language arts writing papers a couple days a week, and I listen carefully to the way they answer math questions in class. I have plenty of information to use in assigning grades. Based on this information, which of the following is the most accurate statement?

a. Her assessments are likely to be both valid and reliable.
  b. Her assessments are likely to be valid but not reliable.
  c. Her assessments are likely to be reliable but not valid.
  d. Her assessments are likely to be both invalid and unreliable.

Ques. 7

A math teacher teaches a lesson on fractions, decimals, and percents and then gives a homework assignment in which the students must convert fractions to decimals and then to percents. Of the following, the teacher's homework can be best described as:

a. a form of informal assessment.
  b. a form of teacher accountability.
  c. a form of high-stakes testing.
  d. a form of diagnostic assessment.

Ques. 8

Assessments that increase motivation have several characteristics. Which one of the following is not one of those characteristics?

a. They are aligned with teachers' learning objectives, so they are valid.
  b. They avoid social comparisons, so that competition among students is prevented.
  c. They focus on mastery of content, so students feel competent.
  d. They focus on lower-level objectives, so students are ensured of success.
Read 467 times
3 Replies