t
i
r
r
Steve8530 Steve8530
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
2 years ago
1- What characterizes the acute, chronic and AIDS phases of HIV infection in terms of symptoms and viral replication?

2- What mechanisms are involved in resistance to execution by HIV, as seen in Jason? The best known is the delta32 of the CCR5 transformation. Explain.

3- What was done in the early 1980s to prevent individuals from becoming infected with HIV through blood transfusion? How is HIV infection diagnosed today?
Read 244 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
2 years ago
Hi Steve8530, how are you?

1- What characterizes the acute, chronic and AIDS phases of HIV infection in terms of symptoms and viral replication?

See my attachment. If you can't read my writing, I have linked something useful below 👇

2- What mechanisms are involved in resistance to execution by HIV, as seen in Jason? The best known is the delta32 of the CCR5 transformation. Explain.

Jason was a Navy captain who married a Japanese woman. They had a new son named Eric who was having some trouble breathing. Tests were performed that identified that her father and mother both had antibodies against HIV. Your older sister doesn't. Then his mother began to be treated for HIV infection, she couldn't resist and died, shortly after her youngest son Eric had died. Captain Jason remained asymptomatic despite the presence of anti-HIV antibodies in his serum.

Is this question part of a written scenario? Because we don't know what Jason is experiencing Grinning Face with Smiling Eyes Searching the forum I found: https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=172158.msg536864#msg536864

3- What was done in the early 1980s to prevent individuals from becoming infected with HIV through blood transfusion? How is HIV infection diagnosed today?

I'm not sure what they did in the 1980's to stop the spread, apart from bring awareness. I know it was rampant in gay people of that time, probably still is.

HIV can be diagnosed through blood or saliva testing. (see my reference)

• Antigen/antibody tests. These tests usually involve drawing blood from a vein. Antigens are substances on the HIV virus itself and are usually detectable — a positive test — in the blood within a few weeks after exposure to HIV.
  • Antibody tests. These tests look for antibodies to HIV in blood or saliva. Most rapid HIV tests, including self-tests done at home, are antibody tests. Antibody tests can take three to 12 weeks after you're exposed to become positive.
  • Nucleic acid tests (NATs). These tests look for the actual virus in your blood (viral load). They also involve blood drawn from a vein. If you might have been exposed to HIV within the past few weeks, your doctor may recommend NAT. NAT will be the first test to become positive after exposure to HIV.
Source  > https://hivinfo.nih.gov/understanding-hiv/fact-sheets/stages-hiv-infection
> https://hivinfo.nih.gov/understanding-hiv/fact-sheets/stages-hiv-infection
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1091 People Browsing
 101 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431