t
S
m
s
Figuresk8 Figuresk8
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
I have a hard lesion to the right of my sternum, it's been there for quite some time now (about a year). It some times hurts in that area after doing chest exercises in the gym. I went for an X-Ray yesterday and the radiologists report said the following: localised view of sternum revealed some assymetrical thickening of the body with mixed lytic/sclerotic appearance. Features may be due to a chondroid type lesion. Doesn't appear to be any retrosternal mass or adenopathy. Further evaluation either with MR or CT to clarify.
I gave the report to my doc and he suggested u see a thoracic surgeon to have a look at it and then he can decide if I need a CT. Unfortunately the surgeon is on holiday so I have to wait a week and now my worried about what it may be. Anybody have anything similar?
Read 2668 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
1) Are you male, female?
2) Does the muscle tissue in that area appear normal?

What do you think it might have?
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
9 years ago
I have a hard lesion to the right of my sternum

What do you mean by lesion? As if there's a lump on your sternum?
Figuresk8 Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, Figuresk8
Yes that's correct
Post Merge: 9 years ago

1) Are you male, female?
2) Does the muscle tissue in that area appear normal?

What do you think it might have?

I am female. X -Ray shows its to the right and on the sternum. I think it might be from figure skating. When you jump you gave to pull your arms in and that constant pounding could have caused it.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
9 years ago
If you think it's from sports, it could be a hernia. A hernia can result when part of an organ pushes against or even through the internal barrier that houses it. In the case of a lump on the sternum, protrusion of the stomach or the intestines may create the sensation. This type of hernia may be soft or hard and have associated pain, and it may be caused by overexertion of the related bodily area.

Around roughly the center of the chest, the sternum ends in a bone and cartilage protrusion. The protrusion is known as the xiphoid process or xiphisternum, and different individuals have varying sizes and shapes of the structure. In some individuals, the xiphoid process is more prominent and sticks out away from the chest. This anatomical feature may feel like a hard lump on the sternum, especially if an individual is in a reclining position.

If it is a tumor (which is very rare), it is often benign or non-cancerous.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1040 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 144