t
S
m
s
charity2016 charity2016
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Hello. I wanted to know what is the best textbook and study aid for Gross Anatomy Clinical Style questions? I have sampled a few books and they do not teach Gross Anatomy in a way that teaches you how to answer clinical style type questions. Thanks
Read 8481 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
Could you provide us examples of clinical style type questions you are referring to?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
charity2016 Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, charity2016
Here is an example of the type of questions I need to learn how to answer for Gross Anatomy:

During a little league game one of the players accidently struck her teammate with her bat. When the bat hit the boy's arm there was an audible crack and the boy fell to the ground in pain. Luckily, one of the mothers watching was a physician and she rushed to the boy's aid. Quick examination showed her that the boy had a closed fracture in his upper arm.

After watching him abduct and rotate the arm, she diagnosed damage to the:
A) Musculocutaneous Nerve
B) Axillary Nerve
C) Ulnar Nerve
D) Radial Nerve
E) Median Nerve

Damage to this nerve normally occurs when injury is located at the:
A) Lateral Epicondyle of the Humerus
B) Anatomical Neck of the Humerus
C) Surgical Neck of the Humerus
D) Deltoid Tuberosity of the Humerus
Post Merge: 9 years ago

A 33-year-old woman undergoes a lymph node biopsy of her deep cervical nodes on the left side of her neck. Immediately following surgery, she complains of weakness in her left shoulder. On exam, the left shoulder droops, and she is unable to raise the point of her shoulder. She denies numbness in her shoulder, back, and neck.

1. What nerve appears to have been inadvertently cut during the biopsy?

A. Greater occipital n.
B. Spinal n. C3
C. Dorsal scapular n.
D. Accessory n. (Cranial Nerve XI)
E. Cutaneous nn. of the back (dorsal primary rami)

2. In most peripheral nerve injuries, there is usually characteristic sensory loss, producing numbness in a specific area. Which of the following best explains why there is no numbness in this case?

A. The motor part of CN XI must have been damaged, while the sensory part remained intact.
B. The spinal accessory nerve is unique among peripheral nerves in that it does not carry any sensory fibers whatsoever.
C. Sensory loss is not expected from damage of this nerve because no peripheral nerve that innervates a skeletal muscle of the upper limb carries sensory fibers.
D. Nerves that innervate skeletal muscles carry only motor neurons, and cutaneous sensory nerves carry only sensory neurons.
wrote...
Staff Member
9 years ago
Interestingly, I found where those questions came from:

http://cosmos.phy.tufts.edu/~rwillson/medgross/acsdue.htm

Also, see the attachment.
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
charity2016 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
Yes. The questions came from Tufts University website. I am trying to find an Anatomy Textbook that I can read to help me learn how to answer the clinical style questions. I attend the University of Toledo and wanted help in learning how to prepare for Gross Anatomy for PA students. It is a really difficult course and most of the questions on the test are clinical style questions.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  833 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 308

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?