f
b
d
h
starsun24 starsun24
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
I performed a restriction digest using Hind III to cut plasmid pUC19 and lambda DNA. The results were analyzed using gel electrophoresis.I created a standard curve and obtained the sizes of the pUC19 and lambda fragments and I'm supposed to compare that to the published sizes in text (provided by the professor). Im completely confused as to how to do this confusion. Please help.

I've attached a picture of the published sizes of pUC19 and lambda DNA fragments to the post. How do I use this to compare it to my own sizes? For example, my pUC19 fragment traveled 30mm and is 3.1 kb, but how do i compare that to the published size to see if its right?? 
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 228 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
Hi starsun24,

I found this website that discusses this process. Go four fifths of the way done.

http://www.apsnet.org/EDCENTER/K-12/TEACHERSGUIDE/PLANTBIOTECHNOLOGY/Pages/Activity3.aspx
starsun24 Author
wrote...
9 years ago
So if the sizes of my pieces dont correspond to the sizes on the restriction map..does that mean the digest didn't work?
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
If you've used HindIII, how many fragments did you see when you put it through electrophoresis?
starsun24 Author
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, starsun24
1 fragment for puc19, 7 for lambda. i mean, i know the digest worked, but what confuses me is comparing my results with the restriction map
wrote...
Educator
9 years ago
For puc19

If it's one fragment, it suggests that it wasn't digested. In fact, according to the image you provided, I didn't read anywhere of a HindIII site.

Do you have the schematic for lambda?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  976 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 820