r
d
l
a
juliem juliem
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Ian and Bryony are both carriers for two autosomal recessive disorders, PKU (chromosome 12) and cystic fibrosis (chromosome 7). They are expecting a daughter. What is the probability that she will have PKU but not CF? Originally, I thought the answer was 3/16 because thats how many times the daughter has PKU but not CF out of all the possibilities. But the more I think about the question, does it want us to assume that the daughter will inherit PKU for sure, but not CF? In that case, it would be 3/4. I am a bit confused. Thanks.
Read 584 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
No, you were right in the first place. The question would have to state that "given the daughter inherits PKU, what are the chances she does not inherit cystic fibrosis." This would be a meaningless question though because you would just be doing a monohybrid cross when it most likely wants to display dihybrid principles. (Mendels second law -> assortment of genes independtly)

So ya, you should stick with your original answer of 3/16. 9:3:3:1 in dihybrid where 3 is dominant one trait, recessive the other.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1134 People Browsing
 138 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?