t
i
r
r
unknown12 unknown12
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
The kidney machine is used when a person's kidneys shut down. The patient's blood is passed through very fine tubes made of semi-permeable dialysis membrane. The outside of the tubes is bathed with dialysis fluid.

Some of the materials in the dialysis fluid are compared to normal blood plasma and uremic plasma (urine) in the previous table. Uremic plasma has abnormally high levels of urea and other substances in abnormal concentrations due to kidney failure.

Explain the reason for each solute concentration of the dialysate.

Use this table to answer the Question.

Component                 Normal Plasma      Uremic Plasma   Dialysate
Potassium (K+)                         5                            8                5
Bicarbonate (HCO3? )                 27                   14                27
Glucose                                100                   100               125
Urea                                         26                   200                 0
Read 4288 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
I think this has a lot to do with diffusion of solutes of high concentration to low concentration. Right now, in my body and yours, the solute levels look like the first column "Normal Plasma". In an abnormal person, we look at column two "Uremic Plasma". The amount of potassium will obviously be higher in uermic plasma especially after a meal or something [and remember they don't have the kidney power to filter potassium and other minerals] so in order to decrease that amount, we need a hypotonic solution in the dialysate so that the potassium moves out of your blood (from high concentration) to the dialysate (lower concentration). Bicarbonate is used as a buffer in your blood to balance the acidity. The acidity in your blood increases every time you respire because of CO2 being produced by your active cells and being dumped into your blood, making it turn into carbonic acid. To counter this, we have more bicarbonate in the dialysate so it can flow into your blood and reduce the acidity. The glucose levels are the same when compared to normal plasma so the level of dialysate isn't that important in this case, especially since we receive dietary glucose with nearly every meal. Finally, we have to get rid of the waste product "Urea" so that's why there isn't any in the dialysate because it is a waste product and we need it to defuse out of our blood completely.

Hope this explanation helps.
unknown12 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Yes it helped! Thank you Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Solved?
unknown12 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
yes & oh sorry i forgot to mark it Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1300 People Browsing
 126 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741