t
i
r
r
judithlouis judithlouis
wrote...
Rep: 4 0
12 years ago
Please can someone help me on this question. Lab 3 plant transpiration. Question 12. Describe any experimental controls used in the investigation.
18. of what value to a plant is the ability to lose water through transpiration.

11. Describe the process of transpiration in vascular plants.

any help will greatly appreciate
Read 4043 times
4 Replies
Replies
judithlouis Author
wrote...
12 years ago
the book name is Alters and Alters.Understand life. Biology
wrote...
12 years ago
-> The experimental control groups include plants examined outside the presence of the three stimuli (heater, fan, lamp).

-> Transpiration is the "engine" that pulls water up from the roots to: this supplies the leaves with water for photosynthesis (1%-2% of the total), it bring minerals from the roots for biosynthesis within the leaf, and it plays a role in cooling the leaf.

-> Water is transpired from the plants leaves via stomata, carried there via leaf veins and vascular bundles within the plants cambium layer. The movement of water out of the leaf stomata creates, when the leaves are considered collectively, a transpiration pull. The pull is created through water surface tension within the plant cells. The draw of water upwards is assisted by the movement of water into the roots via osmosis. This process also assists the plant in absorbing nutrients from the soil as soluble salts, a process known as absorption. Surprisingly, the movement of water upwards requires very little or no energy from the plant. Hydrogen bonds exist between water molecules, which cause them to line up, as the molecules at the top of the plant evaporate, they pull the next one up to replace it, which in turn pulls on the next one in line.

Hope I helped 8)
Biology!
Answer accepted by topic starter
judithlouis Authorjudithlouis
wrote...
Rep: 4 0
12 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free