i
r
r
leminhduc93 leminhduc93
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, leminhduc93
Hello,

I mean how a gene after injected to a nucleus can detect where to insert itself.

Example : human have 23 chromosomes, i want to replace the gene ABC at the position XYZ of the 1st chromosomes with a new gene so it can production for new protein instead of old protein. After have a plasmid that included the targeting gene to transfer, how the gene to be inject can detect the position (which chromosome, which position) to injecting. Does it replace or just insert a new gene ? Or it do nothing with the original gene but just insert a gene like a new chromosome ?

I'm fairly new to this and i very stupid but i very like science, may be a stupid question but a big thank for some one can help me . Please help me.
Read 678 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Does it replace or just insert a new gene ?

I have heard of both cases. It can either replace it (mostly in bacteria) or get added randomly in the mix.

I'm fairly new to this and i very stupid but i very like science, may be a stupid question but a big thank for some one can help me . Please help me.

The gene usually gets inserted via an enzyme.
leminhduc93 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
I have heard of both cases. It can either replace it (mostly in bacteria) or get added randomly in the mix.

So which case it can replace, which case it get added randomly in the mix ?
In the experiment of PhD Yamanaka when he using retro virus to inject 4 gene (Sox2, Oct4, Klf4 and c-Myc), so it replace or added randomly in the mix ? I think it's replaced but as the first question how a gene after injected to a nucleus can detect where to insert/replace itself?

Thank you so much for your answer !
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Hi again,

Here's an interesting read (see the attachment).

Gene targeting methods are established for several model organisms and may vary depending on the species used. In general, a targeting construct made out of DNA is generated in bacteria. It typically contains part of the gene to be targeted, a reporter gene, and a (dominant) selectable marker.

To target genes in mice, this construct is then inserted into mouse embryonic stem cells in culture. After cells with the correct insertion have been selected, they can be used to contribute to a mouse's tissue via embryo injection. Finally, chimeric mice where the modified cells made up the reproductive organs are selected for via breeding. After this step the entire body of the mouse is based on the previously selected embryonic stem cell.

To target genes in moss, this construct is incubated together with freshly isolated protoplasts and with Polyethylene glycol. As mosses are haploid organisms, regenerating moss filaments (protonema) can directly be screened for gene targeting, either by treatment with antibiotics or with PCR. Unique among plants, this procedure for reverse genetics is as efficient as in yeast. Using modified procedures, gene targeting has also been successfully applied to cattle, sheep, swine, and many fungi.

The frequency of gene targeting can be significantly enhanced through the use of engineered endonucleases such as zinc finger nucleases, engineered homing endonucleases, and nucleases based on engineered TAL effectors.
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  951 People Browsing
 108 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352