w
j
a
a
abote95062 abote95062
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Has anyone ever tried the "Pharaoh's Snake" mercury (II) thiocyanate reaction and have more information on the dangers/clean-up/legality of it? I don't trust Wikipedia for this kind of thing...
Read 4278 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
I am not sure if i have, certainly not by name. Are you looking for a clock reaction or is it a demo like elephant toothpaste? You would pretty well cover yourself by checking the MSDS sheet for the cleanup/danger of HgSCN. Otherwise try the elephant toothpaste if you we're just looking into a demo...
wrote...
10 years ago
I am not a chemist, but on its face, this seems like an extremely bad idea. Why on earth would you introduce Mercury into a school? It's one of the most potent neurotoxins known. It's not like you've got no other interesting chemical reactions to play with.

I'm going to check with a chemist. In the meantime, I leave you with the materials data sheet, which limits exposure to 0.1mg per cubic meter. If you light some up, it seems to me you could easily exceed that.
wrote...
10 years ago
There are dozens of YouTube videos of this demo. Better to watch it there and have a discussion with the kids about dangers of mercury and lab safety.
When you like a flower, you just pluck it out.
But when you love a flower, you water it daily.
The one who understands this, understands life.

- That's the difference between I like you and I love you.
wrote...
10 years ago
One of the products of the HgSCN rxn is Hg. It is actually the vapor of liquid mercury that makes it hazardous to work with. I would predict that it wouldn't be illegal, but would be hazardous around students, and could cause a long term mercury contamination in a fume hood or outside. Is it going to kill someone? doubtful. Could it cause you to slowly suffer heavy metal exposure effects if you do it several times every year for the next thirty years? likely. Would I do it? probably Face with Stuck-out Tongue. What fun is chemistry without danger?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  939 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 302