× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
A month ago Edited: A month ago, oemBiology
What are the primary principles behind the treatment of acne scars, specifically in stimulating collagen production to fill in the indentations?

Based on step 2, which generate wound to stimulate bone collagen reorganization and new growth, how long does it last for step 2 and step 3?

1) Utilizing lasers to create controlled wounds.
2) Employing microneedling to induce micro-injuries.
3) Applying manual pressure to create trauma.

Which of these methods is most effective in promoting collagen synthesis for the improvement of acne scars at initial stage?

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions Slight Smile

Read 354 times
17 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A month ago
Found an excellent article outlining all three of these treatments you've mentioned.

Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4445894/

Lasers:

CO2 laser resurfacing vaporizes tissue at a depth of 20 to 60um and zones of thermal necrosis ranging another 20 to 50um.31 Energy at 10.600nm wavelength is absorbed by both intracellular and extracellular water, causing rapid heating and vaporization of tissue.32–34 Dermal heating below the zone of ablation induces a wound-healing response,32,35 which causes collagen remodeling and heat-mediated tissue contraction. Re-epithelialization generally takes 5 to 10 days, and erythema may persist for months.32 Side effects may include dyschromia (hyper- or hypopigmentation),9,32,36 infection,37,38 lines of demarcation between treated and untreated areas,32 and scarring.36–38

Microneedling:

Pinpoint irradiation technique. Pinpoint irradiation technique accompanied by needling is as effective as FP in the treatment of atrophic acne scars.53,58 It often induces microscopic thermal wounds to achieve skin rejuvenation treatment for ice pick acne scars. In pinpointed irradiation, no complications could be seen as those with ordinary laser resurfacing and the downtime is shortened to 3 to 6 days. All irradiated points on the face were small dry macules of ablated epithelium, which could be gently removed with a topical antibiotic cream after a day. The color of the treated scar area was back to pink or normal within 2 to 4 days. Also, postoperative hyperpigmentation did not occur;58 this could be because there was no overlapped irradiation, no massive damage, and the time interval between each shot was relatively long.53

Pressure Techniques:

The CROSS technique entails stretching the skin and using a fine wooden toothpick to apply 65 to 100 percent TCA to the bottom of the ice pick scar, which leads to destruction of the epithelial tract. This is followed by collagenization in the healing phase and filling up of the depressed ice pick scar. It causes momentary, mild, tolerable burning on application, and no anesthesia is required. Collagen formation may take 2 to 3 weeks and can continue up to 4 to 6 weeks. On average, about 25 percent improvement of scars takes place with one session. The procedure may be repeated two or three times at intervals of 2 to 4 weeks.17 The advantage of the CROSS technique is that since the adjacent normal tissue and adnexal structures are spared, healing is more rapid with a lower complication rate.17,25,26

Based on the paper's conclusion, they note:

If multiple procedures were combined, then many types of scars and fine textural irregularities would likely be improved to a degree that could not be obtained by each procedure alone. The varying morphology of acne scars, especially when multiple types of scars are found in the same patient, suggests the need for combination therapy to provide the most effective treatment. Stem cell therapy might have the potential as a promising therapy for atrophic acne scars in the future.

This implies that there is a no one-size-fits-all approach to this problem. You need to be examined by a medical professional and based on the morphology of your skin, he/she will be able to determine what's the best treatment or combination of treatments.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
A month ago
Since I am currently in the early stages of acne, and there are no scars yet, I am considering the following routine to address acne indents:
1) Eating eggs (to supplement nutrition)
2) Tea tree oil (for anti-inflammatory and antibacterial purposes, applied once in the morning and once in the evening)
3) Coconut oil (for moisturizing, applied once in the morning and once in the evening)
4) Infrared light at 600nm (to enhance blood circulation, applied once in the evening) 3-5 minutes

Could you please let me know if this routine can stimulate collagen growth?
Thank you for any suggestions Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
A month ago Edited: A month ago, bio_man
If this is a sudden outbreak, it doesn't mean it will result in scars and injury. Furthermore, before you start changing your diet, I'd be more interested in learning of its root cause. Have you developed any new or unusal habits lately? For example, you started exercising more or used a dirty towel? None of these ideas you  pointed out are necessary in my opinion until you get more answers.

Share a photo of the affected area if you feel comfortable
oemBiology Author
wrote...
A month ago
**What is TENS?**

Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) is a therapeutic technique that uses low-voltage electrical currents delivered through electrodes placed on the skin.

**Question:**
If I apply TENS, could it create trauma in Dermis as well instead of using following approaches?

1) Utilizing lasers to create controlled wounds.
2) Employing microneedling to induce micro-injuries.
3) Applying manual pressure to create trauma.

Can TENS technology be applied to the surface of the skin to stimulate collagen production?

Any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions Slight Smile

wrote...
Educator
A month ago
If I apply TENS, could it create trauma in Dermis as well instead of using following approaches?

I believe the strength of these shocks is too little to cause the trauma you're describing. This technology is used in physiotherapy to move muscles without the conscience effort of the patient.

Is the acne you're describing on your face or somewhere else?

Furthermore, have you tried vitamin A supplements? Vitamin A can aid in the treatment of acne.

Also, here's a full list of drugs used to treat acne 👇. I believe trying at least one of these is just as effective as using alternative treatments:

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=28853
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 weeks ago
1) Eating eggs (vitamin A )
2) Tea tree oil (for anti-inflammatory and antibacterial purposes, applied once in the morning and once in the evening)
3) Infrared light at 600nm (to enhance blood circulation, applied once in the morning and once in the evening) 10 minutes, which stimulate bone collagen reorganization and new growth, correct?
4) Coconut oil (for moisturizing, applied once in the morning and once in the evening)

I follow above steps , can this routine stimulate collagen growth?
Thank you for any suggestions
wrote...
Educator
4 weeks ago
Tea tree oil - is that a concentrated oil that you're using?

Further, I would avoid using coconut oil on affected area because it will only clog your pores further, causing more future issues

Eating eggs is an excellent food to consume under any circumstance, but id you're only eating it to harvest its vitamin A benefits, there are better sources.

Why are you using infrared light? Where did you get this idea from?
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 weeks ago
Q: Tea tree oil - is that a concentrated oil that you're using?
A: 100% pure Australia's Original Tea tree oil, any problem with that?

Q: Further, I would avoid using coconut oil on affected area because it will only clog your pores further, causing more future issues
A: Coconut oil is known for it moisturizing properties, making it an excellent choice for keeping the skin hydrated.  Additionally, it can be beneficial in wound care. While coconut oil supports the healing process, it may also help prevent scars by allowing wounds to heal at a more gradual pace, thus reducing the likelihood of rapid healing that can lead to scaring, correct?

Eating eggs is an excellent food to consume under any circumstance, but id you're only eating it to harvest its vitamin A benefits, there are better sources.

Q: Why are you using infrared light? Where did you get this idea from?
A: Would following information (from ChatGPT) be correct?

**Description**:
Collagen production typically begins to increase during the healing stage of acne. As the skin repairs itself, fibroblasts (the cells responsible for collagen synthesis) are activated to produce new collagen fibers. This process is crucial for restoring skin structure and elasticity, helping to minimize the appearance of scars.

### Role of Far Infrared Therapy in This Stage

**Benefits**:
Far infrared therapy can be beneficial during the healing stage in the following ways:

1. **Enhanced Blood Circulation**: By increasing blood flow to the affected area, far infrared therapy helps deliver essential nutrients and oxygen to the skin, which are vital for collagen production.

2. **Stimulating Fibroblast Activity**: The heat generated by far infrared therapy can stimulate fibroblasts, encouraging them to produce more collagen and elastin, which supports skin healing and regeneration.

3. **Reducing Inflammation**: Although primarily beneficial in the healing stage, far infrared therapy can also help reduce any residual inflammation, creating a more conducive environment for collagen synthesis.

In summary, the healing stage is when collagen production begins to increase, and far infrared therapy can significantly aid this process by enhancing blood circulation, stimulating fibroblast activity, and reducing inflammation.

Any suggestions?
wrote...
Educator
3 weeks ago Edited: 3 weeks ago, bio_man
I want to begin by asking you not to use any form of AI while replying to threads. If I wanted to speak to a robot, I would be on ChatGPT. Now to address your question.

A: 100% pure Australia's Original Tea tree oil, any problem with that?

I don't see a problem here, although it is possible that it might contain a natural dye that could alter the color of your skin. I am assuming, however, that it is clear.

I stand firm on my thoughts and opinions from before. I don't need to clarify them given your AI-verification.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 weeks ago
Since the spot of acne is still red, the scar is not forming yet, Sales from cosmetic suggest that moisturizing skin is right approach, and they know about Coconut oil, but they are not professional to confirm that.

I understand that I cannot 100% trust AI, so I talked to sales from Far infrared therapy as well, but they don't know that depth about how it works except doctor. 

In biological aspects, Far infrared therapy seems making sense to me, since they boost blood circulation to promote tissue growth, but I use Coconut oil to prevent scars by allowing wounds to heal at a more gradual pace, thus reducing the likelihood of rapid healing that can lead to scaring, that is not confirmed on whether it works as I think or not, so I would like to know more about this approach on avoiding scaring during healing.

Any suggestions?
wrote...
Educator
3 weeks ago
Is your acne raised? You mention that it is red,  but do you see the white nodule characterist of acne? See here https://biology-forums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=26137

The reason I would avoid applying oil on your skin is because I know oil is what clogs up your pores, causing your skin not to breath, I believe the bacteria responsible for acne is anaerobic, meaning that it functions in the absence of oxygen, so it makes sense for your skin to be free of oils if you want good results. This is why popular acne medication like accutane completely dries out your sweet glands so that the bacteria is more exposed to air.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 weeks ago
Q:  Is your acne raised? You mention that it is red, but do you see the white nodule characterist of acne?
A: white nodule is already cleared by Tea tree oil, but I think white nodule stay a period of time, so it removes some bone collagen in this acne area, correct?

Q: The reason I would avoid applying oil on your skin is because I know oil is what clogs up your pores, causing your skin not to breath, I believe the bacteria responsible for acne is anaerobic, meaning that it functions in the absence of oxygen, so it makes sense for your skin to be free of oils if you want good results.
A: Since I use Tea tree oil daily to kill any bacteria, so clogging up any pores would not cause any issue by using Coconut oil, correct?

Q: This is why popular acne medication like accutane completely dries out your sweet glands so that the bacteria is more exposed to air.
A: dries out sweet glands under this situation would rapid healing on wounds area that can lead to scaring, correct?

Any suggestions?
wrote...
Educator
3 weeks ago
white nodule is already cleared by Tea tree oil, but I think white nodule stay a period of time, so it removes some bone collagen in this acne area, correct?

Not following the logic of this statement. The nodule I was referring to was the white stuff that appears after the healing process. It can be popped with a reasonable amount of pressure.

Since I use Tea tree oil daily to kill any bacteria, so clogging up any pores would not cause any issue by using Coconut oil, correct?

While this is technically true in theory, in practice the two processes are not complementary. I wouldn't bank on this happening perfectly in unison

dries out sweet glands under this situation would rapid healing on wounds area that can lead to scaring, correct?

Yes, correct

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1129 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 436

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?